Tuesday, July 17, 2007

talking with Niels

I had a conversation today with my 5-year-old son, Niels, about the fact that Mama will be away for five days. The longest that Niels and I have been apart is overnight and the last time that happened was before his brother, Stefan, was born. Stefan will be 18 months this week. I told him that I was going away with Stefan and Grandmom and that he'd spend five whole days alone with Papa and that Papa would take him to his gym class and a friend's birthday party and other stuff. He looked at me and said, "will he take me to kindergarten?" School doesn't start for a month. Five days must sound like an eternity when you're 5 years old.

I am actually hoping that this break does him some good. He is into LEGO and building intricate creations these days which his brother, of course, destroys. It might do Niels some good to have a few days when he knows that his race car/boat/fire truck won't get broken. I think Stefan will miss him, and Papa. Hopefully Grandmom will keep Stefan well entertained!

No comments: